Chameleon World

Family Site to keep in touch
HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Macaroni Ham and Cheese Casserole

Go down 

PostSubject: Macaroni Ham and Cheese Casserole   Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:58 pm

2 c. elbow macaroni
8 tbsp. butter, melted
1/4 c. flour
2 c. milk
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 c. cooked, smoked ham cut into 1/4 inch dice
2 c. grated cheddar cheese (I use Colby cheese)
1 tbsp. grated onion (I use onion flakes)
3 tbsp. dry bread crumbs

Cook macaroni until tender. Drain thoroughly. While macaroni is cooking dice ham. Melt 1/4 c. butter in large pot (I use the same pot that I cooked the macaroni in, like to save on dishes). Add flour and cook, stirring with wire whisk until mixture froths and foams. Add milk and whisk until sauce thickens and is smooth (I have been known to use half milk and half heavy cream to make it really creamy). Add cayenne and salt to taste, simmer on very low for 2 minutes.

Stir in 1 1/2 cups of cheese, grated onion, macaroni and ham (If you use a big enough pot to do the above steps you can do the mixing in the pot and save dirtying a large bowl).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a 2 1/2 or 3 quart casserole. Spoon in macaroni mixture. Mix bread crumbs with remaining cheese and melted butter and spread the mixture over the top. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Serve directly from casserole dish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Macaroni Ham and Cheese Casserole
Page 1 of 1