Chameleon World

Family Site to keep in touch
HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Brisket Mopping Sauce

Go down 

PostSubject: Brisket Mopping Sauce   Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:59 pm

Start with 12 oz beer. You can substitute 3/4 c. wine, apple juice or apple cider (I used apple juice)
To the beer add:

2 tbsp of cider vinegar
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp Frank's Red Hot Sauce
1 tsp of cayenne powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
2 crushed cloves of garlic
1 medium chopped onion

Mix it at least a couple hours ahead of time so flavors have a chance to blend. Overnight in the fridge is even better.

Add 1/4 cup light vegetable oil right before start basting the brisket. If you put the oil in earlier it will coat the onions and garlic and not allow the full flavor to meld with the other ingredients.

Brush the brisket mopping sauce onto the meat every hour or so after the first four hours of cooking.

That's all there is to it.

I should add that I cooked the brisket in my smoker. Dan's sister makes her brisket in the oven in a dutch oven-type roasting pan. I think the mopping sauce would taste just as good in the oven. It is a bit spicy so if you don't like spice you can tone it down by cutting down the cayenne pepper.

Another variation the author likes is substituting chopped jalapeno peppers for half the chopped onion. I didn't try it that way, yet
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brisket Mopping Sauce
Page 1 of 1